Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Easter at home

This year, Easter was a little different for us. Usually we make a trip to one or both of the Grandparents. Since Easter was in April, both of the Grandparents were in Cancun, Mexico enjoying their annual time in the sun. We, on the other hand, went to church, had an Easter ham dinner, egg hunt, and then in the evening we settled in to watch "Ben Hur".
After church, the kids all found their Easter baskets. At the time, we were all on a health kick, so they got "exciting" things like a bag of homemade trail mix, apples, oranges, a bag of shelled peanuts, a pack of sugarless gum... and a couple Cow Tail candies (supplied by Grandma). They were happy with the "mom's weird, so we get healthy stuff" stuff and I felt much better about saying, "Go ahead, dig in, eat your heart out!"
When the kids start learning to sound out words, and are ready to start reading with the rest of the family, they get a bible the next time gifts are given. Usually Christmas or Easter. Ellie was SO excited to get her very own bible, and she loves reading it with me. I read the big words and she sounds out the short ones. She's very careful to keep it in the box that it came in "so no one can ruin it". It's very cute... both her AND the funky, sparkly bible.
The week before Easter, I got the urge to make the girl's Easter dresses. I had seen this really cute "pillowcase dress" tutorial on someone's blog and thought, "That'll take no time at all. I can do that." Um, hello? Anytime something involves making apparel for THREE kids, it's not that easy. Not only that, but I couldn't make the same exact thing for each girl, could I? I've outgrown "matching" and am much more comfortable with "coordinating", so after a few searches on how to add ruffles, make a "tiered" pillowcase dress, and found how to make a top with matching skirt, I got to work. I have to say, they turned out ever so cute and my girls LOVE wearing things that their momma made just for them.

Selah had the true "pillowcase dress" with the added ruffle at the bottom. Unfortunately, she was the only one that I got a full length photo of.
Nathan and Selah. He truely adores and spoils her... most of the time.
Nathan, decked out in his dress shirt and tie.
Nathan and Grace
A friend stopped over just in time to snap a picture of the whole clan. No, Caleb is NOT that tall. He looks like a 6 foot lanky kid. Nope. I think he's standing on a haybale or something. Although his feet have, his height has not passed me... yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment