Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Tooth fairy

Right now around the Larson house, teeth are falling out like crazy and the tooth fairy’s about to go broke! Noah, Ellie, and Grace have all lost baby teeth in the past two weeks and I believe they each have at least one loose one hanging in their mouths.

Gracie just lost her first tooth today. She was so proud. She’s had two teeth loose for about a week and earlier today I heard a delightful squeal on the stairs, followed by a “MOM, I lost my tooth!!” As each of the kids do, they proudly displayed their tooth to me and go on to oogle and gawk at the new-found hold in their mouths. She smiled a big smile and pushed her tongue as far as it would fit through the little opening in her bottom set of teeth.

Later this morning, as we were driving I heard “happy sounds” coming from the back of the van. I thought it was the baby, but it was coming from Grace’s side. I said, “Grace, is that you?” She replied with a big grin, “I’m can’t wait to show dad my tooth!”

 

Ellie has lost quite a few teeth in the past couple months. She’s missing both of her top teeth (although one of her permanent one’s started coming through before she even lost the baby that it’s replacing). She’s lost a few bottom teeth already (with big ones growing in) and has another loose one about to pop out. I am always both sad and excited when they lose their top teeth. Sad, because I know it is a step out of babyhood and they will no longer look the same. Excited, because their smile has outgrown their baby teeth, and I love to see how they look with their grown up “beaver teeth”. I think they are so cute during those years that their teeth look just a bit too big for their mouths.

We have been doing the “tooth fairy” thing since the beginning. I used to be right on top of it, but now the kids usually have to remind me (several times) to “call or text the tooth fairy” and tell him or her that they’ve lost a tooth. Sometimes they’ll wake in the morning to find their tooth still there and they remind me once again.

Recently, we were at a friend’s house when Ellie lost a tooth. Out of the kids hearing distance, my friend mentioned how she puts a little “fairy dust” (glitter) on their pillow, under their pillow, and on the windowsill. She even suggested planting a wet spot on their face (without waking them up) and sprinkling a bit of glitter there (the tooth fairy gives kisses, you know). I thought, “What a great idea! It sounds so girly and Ellie will love it!” So I did. The next morning she found her money, but didn’t comment on the glitter, so later, as she was getting ready for bed, I excitedly pointed out the “fairy dust” on her pillow and on the windowsill. She was amazed and bewildered, and I was proud of myself for being so clever. After the lights were out and everyone was tucked in, Ellie called for me. When I went to her room, she had tears welling up in her eyes and told me that she was scared of the tooth fairy and “fairy dust“. “But you knew that she came, didn’t you? How come you weren’t scared before?” She replied, “Because… I thought the tooth fairy was YOU.” She had already caught on to what the older kids already know. I had to confess. She wasn’t about to go to sleep knowing that some creepy fairy was getting in through her window. I took her to the bathroom so Grace wouldn’t hear (wouldn’t want to spoil her childhood fun, right?). Grace followed close behind anyhow and refused to leave… so now they both know. I even showed them my stash of freshly lost teeth to confirm it. We worked out a deal, though. I can still be the tooth fairy and they’ll pretend with me so I can still put money under their pillow… Who came up with this tooth fairy business anyhow?




No comments:

Post a Comment