Saturday, May 28, 2011

Gracie's 5th Birthday

My pretty little FIVE-year-old...




If there's anything I've learned so far in parenting, it's to "study" my children. Learn their personalities and what makes them tick (or come unglued). Each is so unique and different. You actually have to be proactive in trying to figure them out. I believe being a parent is really a home study course in psycology. Who needs textbooks when you have real life scenerios?

Gracie is my helper. She LOVES to assist me at whatever I'm doing, and she's extremely helpful when she puts her mind to it. Especially if it's one-on-one time with me. If she believes her work is being noticed and counts for something, look out!



She had almost a whole month of celebrations this year. Because it's hard getting everyone together often, Paul's side of the family did a Mother's Day/ Gracie's Birthday combo in early May. Then, on her actual birthday, May 20, we headed to a park near daddy's work for lunch, as we usually do. A few days later we had a party with my side of the familly.







Here's Gracie's present from Paul and I (below). She has been asking for, and dreaming about having a pinata for her birthday. Does this sound wierd? Ellie chose a gingerbread house to decorate and eat all by herself, and Grace asked for a pinata that she could bang up all by herself and then pass out the candy by herself... I'm still trying to figure it out...




Anyhow, she picked out a horse pinata and Grace helped me sort the candy into sandwich bags and stuff them in. I saw someone do that very thing because they didn't like the hoarding and greedy race to get the most candy, and I really like the idea. In the end, she did let the other kids whack her pinata, but I think she enjoyed it just the same. And, yes, that IS the only present we got her. Yeah, I know what you're thinking, but it's smart, NOT cheap. It's consumable. She gets to enjoy it and then we throw it out. I don't have to find a place for it, or worse, find it laying around on the floor (the final resting spot for many toys before they meet the inside of a great, white garbage bag that is headed for Goodwill). Smart.




Now... I did say that was her only present. That's not completely true. That's all exept "Poof Coupons". That's what we call them. They are coupons that say, "Poof, this coupon entitles (birthday person) to (whatever little treat I want to bestow)" The kids get one for each year old they are, and are filled out with things like, "a hot cocoa from Starbucks", "a pack of gum", "a day without loading dishes", "a night to sleep on mom and dad's floor". They are just small, inexpensive things, and they can use them anytime (within reason). Believe it or not, the Poof coupons are one of the most exciting things about their birthdays. They really look forward to finding out what surprises they are going to get, and I like personalizing it with things that I know the birthday child will really enjoy.


Ahhh, and there's one more aspect to our birthdays that I just love. It's watching each of the brothers and sisters find a present for the birthday girl/boy. During the spring/summer, I'll take them garage sailing to find a special gift to give. Or, they might give something out of their personal stock of toys. And, on occasion, they will buy something from the store. The gift giver likes the reaction as much as the recipient like opening the gifts, and I love to watch both of them.



HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MY LITTLE GRACIE


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment