Thursday, October 16, 2008

Pumpkin Carving Night!!



Pumpkin carving night is tradition in our house! Every October 15th, we have fun carving pumpkins and remembering the night that Paul proposed to me. Now 11 years ago, it is still fresh in my mind... Paul and I were dating for just a month at the time, and we were headed to his house on Ivy St. near downtown Joliet (on October 15, 1997) to carve pumpkins. That same day, I was visiting my sister and I casually told my brother-in-law, "He's going to ask me to marry him." My brother-in-law, Mike, asked "when" and I said something like, "I don't know, but he's going to". I had absolutely no idea what was to come that night! So we went to his house and got everything ready to carve the pumpkins in the dining room, but before we did, he got down on one knee and sang part of a country song, "could ya, would ya, ain't ya gonna, if I asked you would you wanna be my baby tonight?" I replied with "WHAT??" So he repeated, and then followed it with "Will you marry me?" I thought he was going to ask me to marry him, but had NO idea it would be that soon! So, I just stared at him, dumbfounded. He reassured me that he had gotten permission from my dad. I figured that if my dad was crazy enough to say yes to a guy marrying his daughter after only a month, he must be OK :) So I said "yes" and I said, "I have to GO!" There were a ton of people that I HAD to tell and I needed to go to my sister's and show my brother-in-law the ring so that he would believe that Paul actually asked me to marry him the same day I commented about it!


Needless to say, we didn't get around to carving those pumpkins, so we've made it our tradition every October 15th since, to have a pumpkin carving night!

No comments:

Post a Comment