Friday, September 5, 2008

My baby boy is 9!




Caleb turned nine yesterday. I can remember when Caleb was a baby, talking to other people with nine year olds and thinking that it would be such a long time from then. Then I remember saying when he turned five that he was "halfway to ten!!" (yikes). Time has just flown by, and I have truely enjoyed every stage. I love the baby stage, and then the toddler, when learning to walk and talk is so much fun. Then they grow a little, become a bit more independent, start to have small conversations and help out with chores. At this point, I have heard many, many moms say, "I can't wait until he/she starts kindergarden... I'll finally have some time to myself..." I just think, puzzled, "Why, just when they are starting to add back to the family instead of taking, would you want to 'get them out of your hair'??" I loved having him around with me, talking and learning as we went through the day. There are soooooo many things that I can teach him that he can't learn in a classroom with 25 other kids. Oh, there'll be plenty of opportunities for "socialization" throughout his childhood, but the willingness for him to hang out with his momma and learn to cook, garden, make a cool fort or fix a porch swing does not last forever. I feel so bad for those moms that have to go back to work not long after having their babies and hand them to someone else to raise 8 of the 12 influential hours they have. My heart wants to offer to be the one to raise them if they can't. But, as everyone knows, no one takes care of, and loves children like their own parents. At least that's how God created it to be.


Right now, I call Caleb my "left-hand man" because, of course, he's left-handed, but when he's gone with one of the Grandma's or somewhere else, I truely miss him like I'd miss one of my hands. He is at the point where we can have a conversation, he's a huge help with just about everything around the house, and he's like a super sponge, sucking up information by the ton! I am so glad to be able to be the one that's pouring, guiding, and filtering the majority of the information that goes into his brain and heart. I guess the downside of that is that I don't have many sources to blame when I see my faults showing through him. It's almost like God gives you a mirror in your children. You can see all those areas of your own life that need improvement. I suspect that may be a reason many moms want to 'get rid' of their kids by the time they are 5 (or earlier...)?? In some ways, I don't blame them, because if you're not consistently training them from birth, a 5-year-old tornado is no joy to have around. Caleb is growing into a fine young man and I know the next 9 years, unfortunately, will fly by as fast as the first, but God is good and I'm enjoying each day with him. He's a blessing to have as a first-born son.

No comments:

Post a Comment